Designed to drive and steer the trailer tandem of an articulated vehicle, the Multidrive Drive-Line Technology when used to convert a rigid truck immensely improves its off road capability without inhibiting on road performance.
Drive to the rear trailer tandem bogie is taken from a ‘through-drive’ axle on the rear of the tractor unit, by a drive shaft system, providing permanent all-wheel drive to the semi-trailer, at constant velocity and at all speeds.
The steering action of the tractor unit is transmitted to the trailer bogie through the drive shaft support system, pivoting the bogie on its turntable mounting this action maintains the constant velocity drive-line and enables the trailer to track closely with the tractor.
This system can be adapted to suit a wide range of vehicles.
The system maximises:
- The rear chassis unit pushes the tractor for optimum traction
- The rear chassis has minimal cut in to reduce space needed on haul road corners
- Drive-line operates with constant velocity to eliminate vibrations and extend product life
- The tractor stresses are reduced by the distribution of tractive forces into the rear chassis
- The load length can be increased over rigid vehicles
- A tug trailer can be added with minimal cut in positively towed by the trailer drive axles
- Retarder brakes operate on trailer as well as tractor through the drive-line
- Rear steer and no corner cut in
- Steeper grades possible
- Greater site accessibility due to:
Higher output due to:
- Favourable grade speeds
- All wheel retarder higher favourable grade speeds due to all wheel drive
- Ability to operate in more adverse weather
Lower Vehicle operating costs due to:
- Reduced stress on tractor axles
- Reduced stress on chassis
- Longer tyre life with less wheel slip