Multidrive Driven Full Trailer ‘Flexible Frame’
The Multidrive ‘Flex Frame’ is a unique system that allows drive between a rigid truck and full trailer, allowing for 8×8, 8×10 and 10×10 drive configurations.
In forestry this system is for use transporting billet timber over severe terrain where exceptional oscillation is required between the tractor and trailer unit.
The Flex-Frame coupling system delivers a drive from the rear tractor through-drive axle to the leading tandem trailer axle. When compared to a rigid vehicle of similar proportions this system dramatically improves mobility, manoeuvrability and agility.
In addition to allowing drive to the trailer unit, the design also enables:
- Unlimited oscillation between tractor and trailer, which improves wheel to ground contact, enhancing traction
- 50 degrees up & down
- 50 degrees side to side
- 360 degrees rotation
- Smallest 17M turning circle in its class achieved with only one steer axle and minimum ‘cut in’
- Increased axle spacing giving a wider spread of traction
- Enhances lateral stability in all yaw and pitch circumstances
- Safe high speed characteristics
- Lower overall chassis stresses – minimizing chance of load or chassis fracture
- All wheel drive torque split, with cross and longitudinal axle differential locks
- Easy disconnection
- Easy maintenance
- Utilises standard vehicle steering
- Legal and safe throughout the total use spectrum
This system can be applied to drive a full trailer with most ridged 4×2, 4×4, 6×4 and 6×6 wheel drive vehicles.